A suitable USB memory stick, FAT32 formatted.
An image / firmware of your choice.
Compression software such as WINRAR or 7zip.
HP Format Tool (not required, but recommended).
Teracopy (not required, but recommended).
Format a USB memory stick (FAT32).
Download the image / firmware of choice and unzip it on your desktop with WINRAR or 7zip.
Open the folder that was just extracted to your desktop. This folder is now the folder Giga Blue ‘present.
Copy this entire folder (with contents) to the USB stick.
IMPORTANT: Don not turn off the receiver during the flash procedure. This could cause the receiver severe and permanent damage.
Links to software mentioned in this guide:
For backup reasons, it is perfectly safe and even recommended to have an image / firmware on your USB stick. The image / firmware is only installed if you confirm this with the OK button on your remote;
If you do not confirm with OK, the image / firmware will not be installed and the receiver will start normally.
Installing / flashing the receiver using a USB stick:
- Turn off the receiver completely and remove the power cord from the back of the receiver.
- Make sure there are no USB devices connected to the receiver.
- Insert the USB stick with the image / firmware in one of the USB ports of the receiver.
- Turn on the receiver.
- Follow the instructions presented on the display of the receiver and press the OK button, which is located behind the flap on the front of the receiver to start the installation / flash procedure.
- If the installation is successfully completed, the receiver will automatically reboot.
The procedure will take appr. 2-4 minutes.
As long as the receiver is still installing firmware, it is vital that you DO NOT turn off the receiver or unplug it. It can cause serious and permanent damage.
Installing / flashing the receiver using the Rescue Mode:
If you use the Rescue Mode, connect your STB to your router by using a network cable. DHCP should be enabled.
Wireless flashing is not possible.
Manual starting of “Rescue Mode”
- Power ON your STB.
- For STB’s with buttons on the frontpanel: Press & hold the MENU button for 5 seconds.
For STB’s without buttons on the frontpanel: Press & hold the POWER button for 5 seconds.
- Your STB will boot in Rescue Mode.
Once “Rescue Mode” is started, you will see a message on your tv:
NOTE: The shown ip address will most likely be different in your environment.
Start the “Rescue Mode” in a web browser
- Start your favorite webbrowser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, etc.) and enter the shown ip address on your TV into the URL field:
- Your webbrowser will now show the “Rescue Mode” options available:Options:
A = Device information
B = Firmware upload
C = Reboot
- The “Rescue Mode” – Device information shows information about your STB like the name and MAC address.
- “Rescue Mode” – Firmware Upload option allows you to upload a zip-file containing an image to be flashed. Structure of the zip-file (folders & files) needs to be identical to a regular image zip-file (e.g. OpenRSI-4.5-gbquad-20160103.zip).Once you selected a zip-file from your harddisk, you have to click on GO:
When flashing is in progress, you will see the progress as console text output:Once flashing is done the STB will automatically reboot.
- “Rescue Mode” Reboot allows you to reboot your STB.
NOTE: As long as the receiver is still installing firmware, it is vital that you DO NOT turn off the receiver or unplug it. It can cause serious and permanent damage.